About Us

I am me, in my late forties, and in a pathetic attempt to rediscover my youth, and slow the aging process,try to lead an active life. I am an open topped sports car away from a mid life crisis. Although I have a variety of interests, I am actually pretty useless at all of them. I have 2 children, 1 Bailey, a 4.1/2 year old Labrador, with whom I Canicross. If you are looking for expert advice and knowledge on the subject, then you've come to the wrong site. But if you want to have a laugh, mainly at my expense, then read on. I can't promise it'll be any good, only that I try my best to make it interesting and fun!

Wednesday 24 December 2014

Some Random Words Thrown Together Before The Wine Kicks In

I'm not sure of the exact date, but I think it was the 1st September 2013. I logged on to Facebook, prodded and poked around, swore quite a lot, typed a bit, swore some more, and eventually created the madhouse that we all know as Canicross Sussex.

It started with just 2 members, but gradually started to grow. Our Christmas run in 2013 was a very memorable run. Our biggest run to date at the time, but mainly it was memorable for the fact that team Berry were the only ones in fancy dress, whilst the sum of my 'fancy dress' involved wrapping a bit of tinsel around my bungee line. Which snapped almost as soon as we started running.

Some of us ran a few demonstrations at local events, and gradually the interest started to grow. It was probably about April time that Canicross Sussex really started to grow. New members bringing in more new members. As I write today, we stand at 170 members.

Some of the more memorable moments this year for me have been the CTS Half Marathon at Beachy Head, where Bailey really started to become a great canicross dog. Hard As Snails, a first race for many of us, and where Canicross Sussex turned up en mass and did the group proud, as well as being the scene of our current cover photo. The Checkendon weekend, where we learned that alcohol is not conducive to a great race, but we also learned that when a great group of people and dogs get together, then a laugh, and broken tables are never far away. The Parkrun challenge with Kent Canicross, where we got to eat lots of cake due to our overwhelming victory. Beachy Head Marathon, where Bailey was an absolute star in his first ever marathon, and worked so hard. And then Wildman, a milestone race as it was the toughest and longest race for many of us, as well as being memorable to me for personal reasons,

I started the group to try to find other people to run with. That was it. No politics, just a focus point for me, and more importantly others to run their dogs. I think it is safe to say that THAT mission has been well and truly accomplished.

What makes Canicross Sussex unique compared to other groups is that we have several people that are prepared to get involved and to organise runs. This doesn't happen with many other groups.

It has been a real pleasure seeing the runners that joined us having barely run either ever or not for a long time, develop and become very good, accomplished runners. Some of the improvements in the Parkrun times this year have been truly amazing and inspiring, and this has been achieved by hard work and the great support that the group give each other. If you are reading this as a newbie, take note. This group definitely WILL help you run quicker, and have a lot of fun whilst doing it.

Over the course of this year, we have seen some great and lasting friendships formed. It has really been one of my proudest moments to see how well the group gets on with each other, and this spirit, coupled with the fact that we have quite a giggle when we are all together, is what makes Canicross Sussex such a great group. I may have initially set up the group, but it is the people in it, and of course the dogs, that make it what it is. It has been a real privilege for us to meet, get to know and run with you all. We are an amazing, fun group of people and dogs. You guys are awesome.

I know I have been a bit quiet on here of late, for which I apologise. This is only temporary, and I hope to be back in the thick of things soon. I appreciate the help of others that have taken up the slack and kept things going during this time. It means a lot to me.

Have an awesome Christmas and New Year. You are an amazing group of people and dogs. An amazing group of friends. And I look forward to 2015 with excitement and eager anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment